Basic VIDEO Instructions click here
Equipment needed to play Game of Jacks:
You can play yourself but the more the merrier.
A small rubber ball
A set of jacks (most sets contain ten jacks)
How to play JACKS:
- To decide who goes first, use a method of “flipping”; place the jacks in cupped hands, flip them to the back of the hands, then back to cupped hands. The player who holds the most jacks goes first.
- The first player scatters the jacks into the playing area with a throw from one hand. A game is divided into rounds of ascending numbers, which are based on the number of jacks each player must pick up per throw.
- The first round, “Onesies,” means that the player throws the ball in the air and picks up one jack then grabs the ball after it bounces once. The player must pick up all jacks this way without missing the jack or letting the ball bounce more than once.
- If that happens, it becomes the other player’s turn and the first player is back to the beginning of Onesies.
- If all the jacks are picked up successfully, the player moves on to Twosies (pick up 2 jacks per throw), then Threesies, and so on.
The winning player is the one to pick up the largest number of jacks at once to get to the highest round.
Fun but scary fact about JACKS:
In some Southern African countries, there is a variation of this fun childhood game, called Death Jacks. Instead of playing with nubby metallic jacks, the pieces are sharp spikes that seriously injure the participants. The winner is not the person who reaches the highest level — rather it is he who lasts the longest before forfeiting. This game has been known to carry with it unusually high stakes; it is often used to determine the next tribe leader.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR RULE VARIATIONS…
What better way to spend your summer then playing a simple game at camp during rest hour!
Find your perfect camp through our free service, discover the right camp for you. To find the right camp please contact us. We have 1 week to 8 week sleep-away camp options all over the USA and Abroad! We are a free service and provide you with an easy way to find the perfect match. Call 1-866-222-TIPS or Lisa@tipsontripsandcamps.com to locate the advisor nearest you!
Leave a Reply